Sunday, January 15, 2012

Art instruction Schools impart - Can You Draw This?

Some years back when I was teaching engineering at Iowa State University, I sent for that dinky test that can get you into the Art schooling Schools. I passed the test but never heard from the School again which was just up I-35 north of me.

A concentrate of years ago, I took the test again. I passed again. Nothing happened. I looked on the Internet and called the school. The school sent me some information but gave me no way to sign up for the course. Then one day I got a call from a gentleman who lives in Tooele, Utah. He said that he was advent up to see me and to start drawing so that he could see what I could do. A week later he showed up in his beat-up old car, told me that he covered most of the western states, and asked if I could afford the course.

Getting those formalities out of the way, he looked at my drawings. I asked, "Do you think I can learn to draw."

He looked at my scenery paintings on the walls of my home. Finally he said, "Yes, you can learn to draw."

I wrote him a check for the three-year course even though he advised me to pay by the month, gave me a few hints on drawing, and took off to interview a teenager up the rode who he suspected would not be able to buy the course.

I have now completed the course except for the final exam which I have not yet received. Here are my impressions:

1. The cost is very inexpensive for what you receive, but it cost almost ,000.00. However, you can pay by the month if that is a factor.

2. Each episode comes in a cut off book. You get one book at a time except the first time when you get the first two lessons. I found that I occasionally had to wait for a episode to be returned a bit longer than I wanted to wait. However, almost all lessons have been returned within 30 days. There were some longer delays because of the artist being on maternity leave, together with one of my mail instructors. The staff had quite a baby boom this spring. I asked to have lessons sent in develop so that I could conclude the course within 18 months rather than three years. I got my final lessons in one big bunch. This is not a good idea-it is good to see your grade and commentary from the old episode before you start a new lesson- but I'm an old man with a pig's aortic valve and time is high-priced to me.

3. Each episode is very comprehensive. You will see examples from great artist, from other students, and from the Art schooling Schools instructors. Each technique is clearly and professionally explained. There are exercises in each episode that need to be completed. Finally you do your assignment and send it in for grading.

4. What amazed me was that every episode you completed by submitting the final drawing or drawings was not only evaluated but also drawn by the grading instructor. This is very prominent because you are not criticized but shown how things should be done. The teacher draws your drawing and puts an overlay on top of your drawing with helpful comments on the overlay to help you expert the field at hand. In all cases, my work looked like crap along side that of the instructors.

5. I didn't call into talk to an teacher until I was well into the course even though I was advised to do so in every lesson. That was a missed opportunity. When I did call in, I realized what a wealth of knowledge the Art schooling Schools instructors have. I was never brushed off by an busy instructor. I was all the time given as much time as I needed and then some. The instructors are talented artist and great teachers.

6. I met only one student while I took the course. He is an American Indian that lives not too far from me on the Blackfoot Indian Reservation. He is a very talented artist and I couldn't see why he was taking the course. He told me the one thing that he had learned from the course (he is behind me) was patience. I have to agree on that. Art takes time and you have to give your brain a break to do it right. The school all the time says not to rush your work. For me, that is tough. I bought an ink drawing from the young man. He wanted .00 and I offered him .00. He took it because he had a date that night. I guess I had just come from a yard sale and was still in the bartering mode. I have decided that I owe him that .00 because I enjoy the drawing very much. I'll get it to him the next time I pass by that way.

7. My drawing does not assess with the instructors but I have been able to utter a "B" mean over the course. For that, I received a extra certificate for each episode segment noting that I had done above mean work. I received only a concentrate of "C" grades and "A" grades.

8. The most spicy lessons to me were using color. I now just blend the three customary colors for my landscapes, seldom looking for a singular color in a tube. Studying to use ink washes and color was spicy to me. However, the emphasis on the course was drawing. If you can expert drawing, you will be a much good painter, not only from the accuracy of the drawings but by looking tones, light and shadow, and textures.

9. I learned as I went along that I had not mastered the earlier lessons as well as I should have. I was continually going back to see what I had done versus what the teacher had done versus what the lessons said to do. Like always, I was too much in a hurry. I'm goal driven. I pick up a episode book and say, "I've got to get this baby in there." That is the wrong approach. Take the three years.

10. Some of the many skills taught in the course are composition, design, lettering, etc. The enterprise was started in 1914 to train artists for the United States Mint. When I was required to develop a stamp and received the instructors version of my stamp, I could see that the school's history is still evident. I was proud of my stamp and my wife liked it too, so did my artist daughter-in-law (who is very polite). But the instructors stamp using my develop was stupendous.

The school has about 5000 students, so I have been told. They are selective as to who they enroll as students with being able to pay for the course a prime factor, but if you don't have the ability to learn to draw in the mind of the gentleman in the old car, you will not be accepted.

Did I get out of the course what I wanted? What I wanted was to improve my landscapes. However, I have only done a few landscapes since I enrolled in the course. But I know that my landscapes will be much good after the course. There are no other courses available. If they did offer a definite course on scenery painting, I would take it.

There are preeminent graduates of the School. Charles Schultz of Snoopy fame was a graduate and also an teacher at the School. Why yes, there was a episode on cartooning and I just loved it. You could see one of my cartoons but I am not allowed to tell you how to find it on the Internet. That would be self-aggrandizement.

The basic art course at Art schooling Schools is a humdinger!

Fly Old Glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment